How can I tell if I have gum disease?
You can’t have healthy teeth without healthy gums. And the only way to know for sure that you have gum disease is to have regular examinations at the dentist. Often gum disease develops but shows no symptoms, so people don’t know they have it. Gum disease that is not treated can lead to bone and tooth loss. Many people are unaware that gum disease is so serious, it is the leading cause of tooth loss among adults in this country.
If symptoms are present, they might look something like this:
- Bleeding gums after brushing and flossing
- Gums that have a swollen, red, puffy appearance
- Teeth that have begun to look elongated because the gums are receding
- Bad breath that persists despite brushing and mouthwash
- Pockets of pus at the gum line
We can sometimes reverse gum disease if we catch it early enough. But in its later stages, it cannot be cured but only managed. Early detection of gum disease is just one of the reasons it is so important to visit your dentist twice each year for examinations and cleanings.
If you are due—or overdue—for a checkup and cleaning, we are welcoming new patients to our Eugene, OR dental practice. Give us a call today to make a dental appointment with Dr. Stambaugh!