Crowns and Bridges
Missing or damaged teeth cause problems other than esthetics with your smile. You might also have problems chewing your favorite foods comfortably.
Come to Dan L. Stambaugh, DMD, for quality placement of dental crowns and bridges in Springfield, Eugene, and all surrounding communities.
What Are Crowns and Bridges?
Dental crowns and bridges are long-term prosthetic devices that strengthen damaged teeth or replace missing ones. Dental crowns are used to cover your natural tooth to protect and strengthen it. Crowns are also used on the top of a dental implant post.
A dental bridge literally bridges the gap in your smile when you have one or a few missing teeth. This non-removable dental appliance is made by anchoring to the natural teeth or to crowns on either side of the space. These teeth are called abutments and serve as the anchor point for the bridge; the teeth between are called pontics.
When Dental Crowns Are Needed
A dental crown may be recommended for one or more of the following reasons:
- A tooth is broken or fractured
- A tooth is severely decayed and cannot support a filling
- A tooth has a large filling that needs to be replaced
- A tooth needs cosmetic enhancement
- A tooth needs to be strengthened after a root canal procedure
- Implants were placed and need to be restored
Dental crowns are custom-made to blend in perfectly with your natural teeth and to restore your tooth function.
When Dental Bridges Are Needed
A bridge is used to fill in gaps left by missing teeth. This not only restores the look and function of your smile, but it prevents your healthy teeth from shifting to fill in the empty space. This will also protect the shape of your facial structure. Natural teeth or implants can also be bridged.
Dental bridges look and function like your natural teeth. Best of all, when you smile, no one will know you have a dental appliance.
Zirconia is becoming one of the most popular material choices for dental crowns because of its strength. Zirconia is a type of crystal that is virtually indestructible and incredibly durable. It is suited to take on the forces of biting and chewing. Milled from a block of crystal, zirconia crowns are five times stronger than porcelain crowns.
There are advantages to using zirconia for crowns rather than porcelain, including:
- It is easily matched to the color of your existing teeth, giving it a highly natural appearance. It can also be layered with porcelain, which gives it even a more aesthetic look.
- It requires less preparation of the natural tooth structure than other materials.
- Zirconia crowns can be bonded or cemented into place.
- Zirconia is biocompatible, so it doesn’t cause adverse reactions when used in the human body.
We Look Forward to Restoring Your Smile
Whatever the reason for missing or damaged teeth, Dr. Stambaugh can restore your teeth to full functionality. Custom-made dental restorations such as crowns and bridges can give you back your reason to smile. Call today to make an appointment!